Friday 21 May 2010

Leon Paul Fencing co.



Fencing is the way forward.

For our latest project we have been focusing on a sport that will be part of the 2016 Brazilian Olympics. Having decided to look at fencing I thought it best to actually have a go at the sport.

Heading up to Falmouth community College Gymnasium in the rain on a Tuesday evening was not the most appealing of thoughts. However on arrival my outlook was completely altered. John 'the Fencing Guru' Walker an 80 years young fencing legend put me through my paces in the foil discipline. It's got to be said I don't think i was a natural but it was a lot of fun and I met some fantastically eccentric people! Edith has been fencing since 1967 she is 65 years old and man can that lady move! John and Ed both reenact battles around cornish heritage sights at the weekends and decided to take up fencing as a way to improve their swordsmanship and Oscar an 18 year new romantic replied when asked:
"Why did you take up fencing?"
"Because it beats getting punched in the face, by kids on the back of the school bus on a Tuesday"
eeermmm....ok Oscar, you just keep on smiling honey!

Obviously I was more interested in the equipment than learning the correct en guard position and everyone mention Leon Paul co.

It seemed that I was going to have to check out this Leon Paul Company for myself. After a brief email to Ben Paul (4th generation directing manager) he invited me up to the studio and factory in Hendon, London; where all the clothing and equipment is made.

What a place! Computerized forging machines stand a long side traditional grinders, presses, injection moulding machines, welders and sewing machines. The team are totally dedicated to producing quality equipment firmly stamped with 'Made in the UK' on the side.

Ben was incredibly helpful providing with tonnes of information and loads of fabric samples. I am so much more informed on the ways of fencing now, so a big thank you to everyone at Falmouth Fencing club and to the team at Leon Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment